Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Truely Happy.

In my health/science class we are talking about the effects of being obese and how it can cause you to die early yada yada yada. Someone in my class posted how her sister is obese and they are always getting on her to lose weight and watch what she eats. This women also goes on to say how she knows this women is not happy and is faking her happiness. I of course had to respond. I have been overweight all my life...big deal, I have always been healthy, all my tests have come out good, blood pressure fine and I was always happy with myself. I never had a problem getting boyfriends, I was always happy with myself. I loved being "thick". When I saw someone writing an assumption that an overweight/obese person could not be happy with themselves it just made me so angry. This lady also brought up the fact that over weight women could not find cute clothes. I always find cute clothes...they might be a few sizes bigger but who cares? I wrote back stating that I find cute clothes and that assuming that someones size measures their happiness is just ignorant. Do not get me wrong, everyone gets into a funk every now and then about their size...you can be a size 0 or size 26 and still get like that, but your size should not effect your overall happiness. I also truely believe that you can be overweight or obese and still be healthy. I was all those years, my blood pressure was always normal and such. It was not until recently that my blood pressure started going up, I got blood clots after my c-section and little things like that, that my weight started to concern me...which is why I am meeting with a surgeon tomorrow about gastric bypass. I am only doing that for health reasons, not appearance. I truely could be the size that I am for the rest of my life and be happy...but I do want to be around for my son as long as possible and also be around for my husband.

I think overall I just can not stand ignorant people. Once I do get my surgery and lose some weight, I am not going to be one of those judge mental people that assume "fat people" are depressed. It is just simply not true, and wrong. I will always stand up for the overweight because I have been there. I am there right now. Judging someone by their weight is the same as judging someone by their race, their height, anything like that....and it is just simply uncalled for, and makes you look like an ignorant piece of shit. (oops did i say that)


Nikki

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more Nikki! I'm about 40 pounds overweight. I'm a size 16. One time I said to my mom yeah, I'm fat, I know it and I don't really care. I'm happy. Of course I would love to lose a bit of weight. But like you say, it's to be healthy! And to fit back into some of my clothes that I really love. HA! I will never be SKINNY,I'm just not built for it. if I got back down to a 14 I'd be happy! But yes, I agree. Fat does NOT=unhappy.

    ReplyDelete